Sunday, June 24, 2012

SP Introduction


I have decided to visit all of the state parks in Iowa. To my best count there are 105; but honestly every reputable source defines “state park” differently. Some include only those with “state park” in the name, some include state forests, state land managed by counties, and various other small differences. So after some revising (for instance either my 2011 Iowa DOT map or Google maps must recognize it), I have come up with a list of 105 and feel satisfied with that number.
So I keep my IA DOT map speckled with green in my car and cross off the dots as I visit them. There are some (arbitrary, self-imposed) rules as to what qualifies as a visit.

1. I must enter the park after having started this project. Those that I have already seen must be re-seen.

2. I must actually enter the park and not simply pass it. I am required to walk at least 10 feet away from my vehicle within the park.

3. A minimum of two pictures must be taken of each park. One must be of an official sign indicating that the area is in fact the park I am calling it. One must be of something cool I found in the park. It is expected that most parks will have multiple pictures, but two are required.

4. I must explore the park to the point of satisfying my curiosity unless extenuating circumstances exist. Examples of extenuating circumstances include: physical danger,injury that puts significant limitations on the ability to explore, time limitations, and institutional barriers (such as the park being reserved for a private party).

After visiting a park in accordance with the above rules a post will be added about the park. I will do my best to describe the experience. Pictures that state the name of the park and show something interesting will be posted. Some attempts will be made to reasonably limit the number of pictures posted but I make no guarantees. Since I have previously visited some of them, I might include pictures taken beforehand of the interesting stuff.

On a final note, I have decided to write about the experiences after starting the project; so the first couple of posts will be in retrospect. I am excited to see what Iowa has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment