Monday, June 4, 2012

exceptional-abilism


It is a long and ongoing process, but I am learning to be okay with my epilepsy. This acceptance has lead me to want to come out of the closet so to speak and talk about it with people. My motivation is that I have antedotially found that by letting people know they know someone who is/has______; it increases their acceptance of it.

Lately though, I have found myself conflicted about this as an approach. It is the issue I have with the way that disabilities portrayed in the media. It can be summed up like this: Are those affected the least by a problem the best ones to represent it? (The seed for this rant was planted thanks to Caroline Narby's guest blog on Bitch Magazine especially this one http://bitchmagazine.org/post/double-rainbow-the-savant-autism-feminism .)

In my experience, shows and movies featuring characters with disabilities tend to follow the open-window syndrome (OWS). That is a term I made up for the trend that disabilities are shown as opportunities. Yes, xe has to deal with _____ but look how good it makes heir at ______. Some of these are blatently discussed issues within the show, others are potential as suggested by people talking about the show. Here are some that I have seen in no particular order.
Character
Show/Movie
Disability
Acknowledged in show
Gregory House
House MD
Physical
Yes
Adrain Monk
Monk
OCD
Yes
Lisbeth Salander
Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo
Autism
No
Jake Bohm
Touch
Autism
Yes
Sheldon Cooper
Big Bang Theory
Asperger's
No
Auggie Anderson
Covert Affairs
Blind
Yes
Brick Heck
The Middle
Autism
No
Forrest Gump
Forrest Gump
Low IQ/Physical
Yes
Charlie Babbit
Rainman
Autism
Yes

Whether or not some of these are acknowledged by the show is debatable. In that they could just be seen as quirks/ reactions to trauma. Jake is never called autistic, but is institutionalized because of the way he acts; so it is a significant trait for him. With Lisbeth, Brick, and Sheldon; their potential disabilities could be intentional representations or just quirks that were not intended to represent Autism. These are the three suggested by fans discussing the show.

While admittedly, this list is based on the media I have seen, I cannot help but to notice a pattern (well a couple of patterns). Something I thought of after looking at the list is that they are all white (mostly) males. Of the 7 adults, 4 are professionals and another has the skills to be if she so choose. This images over time, present a pattern that under-represents diversity. My main point, is that all of their disabilities are offset by their incredible lives.

Greg is such a diagnostician that he does thing multiple times an episode that would get any other doctor fired. Occasionally, he gets in trouble; but he is so good at what he does that the hospital covers his ass. Adrian's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder got him fired from the police force, but it allows him to solve unsolvable crimes and become invaluable as a consultant. Lisbeth's math skills, attention to detail, and unemotional presentation allows her to overcome many formal barriers by hacking into any and every computer. Jake is a child with an uncanny ability to see the mathematical patterns behind human interaction despite the fact that he avoids most interactions himself. With the help of his father, this alleviates suffering of many others. Sheldon is an astrophysicist with a lack of ability to relate to others when the topic is not science. Auggie is a soldier turned spy. His computer skills are so strong that the CIA made a lot of accommodations to hire him (they show rigorous training and recruitment that he could not have passed with reasonable accommodations being blind). Brick is a quiet genius child in a Midwestern family; like Sheldon, he has trouble interacting with others unless the topic interests him. The mental and physical challenges faced by Forrest do not prevent him from playing a significant role in most major historical events faced by the Untied States in the mid 20th century and becoming rich for it. Charlie's autism allows him to assist his brother in beating the house by counting cards.

The theme amongst all of these characters is that they all have almost magical abilities despite their set backs. Don't get me wrong; I'd rather see successful characters with disabilities than ones who are to be pitied. My concern however is that it may set an unrealistic standard. “What's that your child has autism? That's too bad, but he will be a math genius.” While sometimes one disability can be accompanied by other advantages such as heightened hearing in blind people; there are many others who live without the severance package; and these people are invisible. To me the invisibility of the average person who is/has _________ makes it even harder to accept the average person because we are in love with OWS and have difficulty accepting disability without a justification. I think have difficulty accepting disabilities as legitimate variances among humans. Instead of getting rid of others who make us uncomfortable http://my.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/HISTORY we have to live with them. Once we stopped seeing it as a sign of being possessed/evil, we needed something else to blame as a cause. OWS serves as such a justification because it implies that these super powers could not have happened without the condition.

I have no delusions of grandeur, here. I am by no means claiming to be as smart as Sheldon, or as skilled as Lisbeth. But I cannot help but to wonder if I am also an exception rather than a standard representation of epilepsy. It is mild enough that if I take my medication properly, it is rarely an issue. I was able to graduate from college, buy a house, and get a job that I love not only because my epilepsy is mild but also because of significant class (and race) privilege.

Hypothetically (not anywhere near ethically) if you took identical twins with the same disability and gave them to families matched in every plausible way except for socioeconomic status; one would likely do better than the other because they could access more resources with less of a (relative) financial strain. I do not know how my life would have turned out otherwise; but I think it is unrealistic and harmful to deny that I was able to get better care than would otherwise be available.

So is it really doing anything positive to make myself into a poster-child for epilepsy when my experiences are rare? Would this be a positive counter example to a stereotype, or a perpetuation of one?

No comments:

Post a Comment