Tuesday, August 14, 2012

SP Palisades Kelper

 
Mt. Vernon, 7/28/12, 23/105

 
The rain cleared up, but I was concerned about my ability to find something interesting here. I have stopped multiple times before and was afraid of George Wyth Syndrome. I was wrong. The entrance to this park is right on Highway 30. Some people live within the park gates but on private property.
The Cedar River was fairly low providing an extra 100 feet or so of park. I took off to the right (facing the river) due to a sign promising a trail I had yet to see. FYI climbing is allowed with registration. Taking the low road, I was soon forced to go uphill to avoid the river. The only issue with this is that there was some of the same plant as at Pine Lake. The good news is that there was a lot less of it and I didn't feel the need to leave.
Many times the trail would jut out to overlook the river and at one point a particularly interesting tree was growing sideways providing a decent plank over the river. The trail intersected with ones earlier taken. I was pleased to find that I had reached the park boundary since this trail was a complete surprise. This is a pretty popular trail, I must have seen close to 50 and the sand doesn't lie.

Private Property
 the low road
 
 low river


 climbing
 river overlook

 flat tree

 

 twisty tree

 end of the road

 shoe prints
 natural fence





No comments:

Post a Comment